Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Diana Davies Day 2



I updated pictures for yesterday for those of you who might be interested. Again, today the team I was on went to Diana Davies Orphanage. The team included Brent, my Dad, Jeremiah, Amy and I. The morning was kind of rough for my physically but I prayed that the day would not be ruined by the pain of it.

The drive to the orphanage was quite the adventure. On the way to and from the orphanage yesterday we were trying to get pictures of the STS water and ice company run by the Children’s Village in Sino County. The money earned there is used to pay the employees and to pay for gas for the generator. So then they supply power to the surrounding houses which also makes money and allows them to not have to pay for the land they live on. It is truly a prime example of what is trying to be achieved here in Liberia.

We were also trying to get pictures of a decked out Miami Dolphins truck. It seemed to be a next to impossible task but, thanks to Victor’s sharp eye we spotted it in time to get a picture of it. It’s the little things in life that matter. We did get stopped at a check point on the way but, luckily, we only needed to show passports instead of the white slips that not everyone had.

We arrived at the orphanage to a warm welcome from all the kids. I got out of the car and was hugged and loved all over. There is nothing like having 10 kids just want to hug you and be close to you. Then 10 more kids waiting behind them wanting to be loved on. I feel like I had so much love to pour out and I was able to pour it all out all day! At first the kids were all looking for Kayla but soon Amy took over and was as if she had always been there.

We did our normal worship which is always a blast with Brent. He has so much energy and has so much fun when he worships. He even got my dad into it which was so fun to watch. The kids LOVED it. Then Jeremiah told the story about Daniel in the Lions’ Den and did a wonderful job. However, Diana wanted the LONG version of the story so Jeremiah had to do it all again in more details. THEN we did a Q&A with Daniel the puppet. Poor Jeremiah’s arm was dying by then end of it but it was very insightful for the kids.

I was able to work with the older girls today and it was great to be able to go deeper and find out more about their hearts and life at the orphanage. The girls there really seem to be like a sisterhood that I was able to be a part of. Amy really came out of her shell with the younger girls which was very exciting. They made lion masks and went around rawring at the different groups which was so adorable and we got a good number of cue pictures out of it. Jeremiah and Brent tagged teamed the younger boys and answered their questions from yesterday. Dad took the older guys and ended up teaching a lesson on the diamond (surprise surprise) that really meant a lot to the guys there along with Diana.

We went out and played soccer and kickball again which was a blast as always. I remembered to wear tennis shoes this time so as not to kill my poor feet. Amy did not have the same luck since she was in flip flops. Afterwards, went back to the orphanage and Amy and I painted the girls’ finger nails which was a blessing and a joy. Jeremiah did another puppet story telling about Jonah and the whale in which Amy and I kept him busy with questions. Finally we got everyone together for a couple last songs and a final farwell. During that time I held Ada and she just rested her head on my shoulder and wrapped her arm around me. In that moment along with a million others, I wanted to just take her home with me. It killed me knowing I might not see her again this side of heaven. Yet, I knew I was leaving her in the hands on the father and at a good home with Diana. They gifted us all with necklaces to help remember them and to thank us. The smiles on those kids faces was enough thanks for me and these kids truly are unforgettable.

On the way home, we got stopped by a cop for some unknown reason. However, another cop came over and told the other cop to let us through because he saw the same Service to Servants on the truck and knew it. Thank you Chuck Clark, Even yesterday this guy ran us down in the market trying to get in contact with Chuck to help ship stuff and we were able to give him the correct website. Chuck is literally all over Liberia!

In the evening James the tailor came by with some of the dresses and purses. Talk about a fiasco. What should have taken 10 mins took about an hour or more. The purses were fine but the dresses were mostly all wrong sizes. So dresses were being traded and tried on and swapped around. Rodney, the point man, was dealing with the financials and was having a BLAST doing so. He was also trying to be the middle man between the girls and James. Watching it was quite a funny experience. It finally got straightened out for the most point thanks to Rodney.

Now we are all up journaling and blogging. Well the girls anyway. Our men, after a hard day, went to bed early. Tomorrow I will be working with the Orphan Relief and Rescue organization alongside of Danielle, Dimitri, Kayla and my Dad. It is going to be an exciting day and I can’t wait to see what God has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment