Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Greater Love and the Team Arrives

Each day still continues to hold new and exciting things and unsuspecting things. Today we went out to greater love to talk with Pastor Wesley about his ministry and see a lot of what he has been doing. We went out there at around 11:30. We did not get to see LT Col. Dali sadly because he was out of the office. However, that allowed more time to spend at Greater Love. We went out there till four and had an amazing time. We were able to visit his clinic and see the pharmacy and lab which was very encouraging. He then took us up to see the radio station.

He opened the door and I felt this cold wind hit me and it felt spectacular! We went inside and he told us they had air conditioning which kept the radio equipment cold. We sat up there and I felt like I had died and gone to heaven. We were also able to give them the recorder they had been asking about. It was looking at children opening a Christmas present. They were so excited and their eyes were so wide with joy. They played with it a bit and then told us we had an assignment. They wanted us to record promos for the radio station. We really had no idea this was going to happen so it was a slight surprise. We tried doing it in the studio and it was not working out as well. So, Pastor Wesley had us go to a professional recording studio to record. It was really very exciting to know that my voice was going to be on the radio! It was almost surreal. We were also to give them more CDs of PK’s sermons for them to play on the radio.

Afterward we went to their cafĂ© for lunch which was two white pots with lids. Another lesson that you learn in Liberia is that if there are two pots, one with almost always be rice and the other will be what you put in the rice which is always the surprise. They lifted it off and it was, surprise surprise, fish and chicken. I ate rice as always lol. I was then asked if we wanted any bread and my eyes lit up and I said yes. I was then handed a sardine sandwich! I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. I don’t think I ever wanted to have a local Mickey D’s so bad in my life! At lunch though, my Dad was able to talk more about his interest in Greater Love and how Crazy Missionaries might be able to partner with them. Pastor Wesley then showed us around where the vocational school would be. He said we would be doing a internet training and awareness class and a typing class. We also talked about his TV program idea that was in the works. My dad began talking to him about telemedicine and how Greater Love might be able to partner with Telemedicine in the future.

After the tour, we went back to the radio station, which I am dubbing to be my own personal heaven due to the AC, and they talked more about telemedicine and I just enjoyed the coolness of the room while watching 50 First Dates on my iPod. Two of the boys came up and sat and watched it with me while the “adults” were talking. It was a great experience to be able to share a movie with those boys, even though it probably was not the most wholesome Christian movie. I’ll probably need to download Jesus of Nazareth on my iPod next time.

Victor picked us up at 4 and took us back to the compound so he could clean the car before going to pick up the team. We showed up at 6:30, around the same time the team was supposed to land. We hauled booty to the airport and got their just as they were loading their luggage into the back of one of the trucks. It was exciting to see them!! We all embraced and piled into our caravan and headed back to the compound. It was easy to see some of them were totally overwhelmed with good reason. I was just happy to have some girls around! We got back to the compound, unloaded and had a dinner of spaghetti and meatballs!! I was SOOOOOOOO excited! Christine had promised me spaghetti and meatballs for a few days now and she finally came through and it was soooo good! We had a debrief and headed to bed. It was weird being around so many people again, but the company was really nice to have. All the girls had fans and the AC felt spectacular in our room. Sadly the boys are not so lucking. Their AC does not work and two of them did not have fans. We’ll see how that can be remedied in the next few days.

This morning was nice. I woke up at 7:30 or 8 and just laid there for awhile. My stomach is still hurting but it is something I pray will go away or lessen as time goes on. It’s made worse by the malaria medication but that’s not something I can necessarily stop doing. We had breakfast as a team and Rodney did a devotional about Ester.

Now the team is out walking the streets getting accustomed to this new culture while Rodney and I are sitting in the compound pounding away on our computers. I wish I could feel better to go with them but I know God has a plan in on this. We’ll be having lunch and going out to Marshall later today which is somewhere I have not yet been.

Overall, God is still Good and this is going to be a great trip! Again, we have a team blog which is www.weliberia.blogspot.com if you want to check that out. Hope everything is going well stateside as the New Year approaches!


Lindi

No comments:

Post a Comment