Sunday, December 27, 2009

A tour, a party and a day of rest




We did not get home till late last night ergo, why I am having to wait till today to post.

Dec 26th- A tour and a party

What a day it was for our suppose day off. We got a later start which was nice to just relax. I’ve never really been a morning person, but having the ability to wake up in the morning before breakfast to just read and relax has been a true blessing.
Victor first took us to the soccer stadium which was very impressive. We then drove to see the STS water and ice company which will be having its first 2 hour test in the next week or so. We then visited the Kensaysa hotel and resort which was spectacular. We got a chance to walk in the beach and Dad ended up getting his sneakers soaked. Right by the hotel was Robert Cuppa’s new house he’s been building for 9 years and will hopefully be moving into in January.

Next we went and walked around the Baptist Seminary where the STS containers were kept before they got their property. It was beautiful and its location was spectacular. We met one of the pastors there who talked to us about the school and their continual need for books.

We back to Monrovia and visited the new Salvation Army vocation training center. The caretaker there told us that they were planning on having classes of 25 students per teacher. When they opened it up, there were about 75 students per teacher. Due to a lack of instructors, the classes had to remain the same size. Yet they are able to graduate students out which had been very exciting for them.

Victor then took us to see all the governmental offices such as the judicial building, the presidential palace, university of Liberia, city hall, the Chinese, Italian, and US embassies etc. While we doing that we stopped by the DuKar hotel which is located at the highest point in Monrovia. It was just like the hotel Africa in its destruction. People were all around, living in what once was surly the pride of the city. It was the hotel where, before the war, Lawrence proposed to Christine. It was just more proof of what war does to a nation.

We then drove down the market and was able to see one of the larger markets called Waterside. We also got to see where they are building more roads throughout the city but there is obviously still much work to be done there. On the way home we stopped by the Salvation Army Headquarters to try and see LT Col. Peter Dali, but he was out. We’ll try and stop by and see him Monday.

We went home that evening and Dad got ready to teach at the Men’s group again. I would meet up with him later at the party Christine had invited us to that night.
I showed up with Christine, Lawrence and the president’s niece who was the one driving us. The party was celebrating the president of the Liberian Senates unity of is whole family from around the world being in Liberia. I was not aware of this until after we got there. We sat down and maybe 15 minutes later this black SUV with flags drives up. Then some gentleman said, “All rise for her Excellency Ellen Johnson Sirleaf President of the Republic of Liberia.” This would be one of those what I would call the “holy crap I think this isn’t really happening” moments of my life. Sure enough, she got out of the SUV, secret service and all, and began shaking hands and smiling. Christine introduced me to her and I shook her hands. It was all truly unbelievable. Yet, like my Dad said, Christine couldn’t introduce Rodney’s daughter to the president and not his daughter. After people kept coming over to Christine and talking and introducing themselves. I don’t remember ¾ of who they were. Someone was something in the UN or someone else was in the ministry of something. It all became a big blur to me. Dad finally showed up and it was mostly a lot of talking and eating and meeting new people. During the evening, Dad was DETERMINED to get my picture taken with the president. I, on the other hand, did not feel it was entirely necessary. But, before I knew it, Christine was up asking permission and we were over at her table and sure enough, I got my picture taken with her. Again, it was all like a blur to me but I do have photographic evidence of meeting her!

We got home late that night and, thank God, the generator was on. I called my Mom and asked her about ear drops for my Dad’s ear and to see if she could get some sent along with the team. She said she would try but, it being the day before we leave, there were no guarantees. I then took 2 Tylenol PM and went to sleep.

Dec 27- A day of rest thank God!

Today has been very uneventful thankfully. The team left today and will be here tomorrow night so we can all hit the ground running. I came down to the living area after getting a delightful night sleep and Dad informed me that he could no longer hear out of his right ear. I was very alarmed. This is not the place to be having major physical issues. Immanuel came by during this, who is a guy who sells mahogany figures and jewelry. He came by yesterday to try and sell to me but because I lacked the ability to know how to bargin, I didn’t by anything. Today I did by a couple little things thanks to my Dad’s wise bargaining skills.

We then went into breakfast and my Dad told Christine of his hearing problem. She placed her hands on his ears and squeezed as she began to pray. She squeezed a few times and by then end of the prayer he could hear her much better. It was one of those miracle moments of prayer that you hear about but don’t see so quickly. It was definitely amazing. Victor took us to Robert Cuppa’s church at around 11. The sermon was amazing as he talked about having to obey God in order to follow God. We went home and will probably be spending the rest of the day relaxing, reading, and I will probably start typing of the stories from the kids from Isaac David School for Christine.

The plan tomorrow is to go back to the Salvation Army HQ to try and meet LT Col. Dali and then over to greater love to see Pastor Wesley. We’ll then hopefully get to meet up with the team at the airport depending on space. Tonight is our last quiet night but I am so excited to see them all tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment